Africa! An Email Journey Through Paradise, January 2003

A voyage of self-discovery and to raise funds for AIDS relief in Uganda, Rwanda and South Africa, and to save the endangered mountain gorilla population. Oh yeah, climbed Kilimanjaro for Mom, too.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

“I’m Seeing Spots!”

Got to see the final member of the Big Five today--twice. I think God really knocked Himself out with the leopard. So beautiful. Watched a leopard sleep, stretch, laze, sleep in the Y of a tree for nearly and hour as more than a dozen giraffe grazed unaware.

Seeing the leopard reminded me of being in Dharamsala, India, and walking back to my guesthouse. I heard branches breaking, and about 20 feet away, there was a leopard eating a dog. Glad she/he was eating.

Currently staying at Seronera Wildlife Lodge. It is an amazing structure built in and around the kopjes--it was built in the ‘60s, and looks very California Modern/Westledge School, all angles, glass and natural stone.

I woke this morning to a grunting noise, like a pig but deeper (similar to Demi Moore's voice)-- hippos returning from foraging. And I was being watched through my window- a baboon was scrutinizing me. Just looking. So perfect here. Pristine.

You know, the world can be a most amazing place when man isn’t allowed to screw it up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home